Laser Hair Removal
What is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser Hair Removal is a treatment for people who are tired of shaving, tweezing, and waxing to remove unwanted hair. Laser Hair removal provides a fast, easy solution for hair reduction allowing you to look and feel your best.
How does Laser Hair Removal Work?
During laser hair removal, a laser beam passes through the skin to an individual hair follicle. The intense heat of the laser damages the hair follicle, which inhibits its future growth.
How to prepare for Laser Hair Removal
- You will need to shave the area 24-48 hours before the procedure. This allows the energy to go towards the follicle instead of being expended on the longer hair. Having smooth, shaved skin allows for a more comfortable experience.
- Please refrain from tanning for at least two weeks prior to each treatment. Tanning can affect the energy delivery and reduce the efficacy of the treatment. We suggest that clients that have a tanned or sunburned wait at least two weeks before treatment in order to avoid further damage. Shaving or trimming is fine.
- Avoid applying self-tanning lotions for at least three days before your treatment.
- Don’t wax, sugar, pluck, thread, get electrolysis or tweeze the area that is to be treated for at least 4 weeks prior to your treatment. The hair needs to be in the follicle before the treatment.
What to expect during treatment?
You can expect slight discomfort during your treatment, similar to a prickly sensation or a mild sunburn. A topical numbing agent can be used; it is available by prescription and applied to the area 60 minutes before the session. You should use a cold compress if needed. If any mild crusting appears, apply antibiotic cream and cleanse with mild soap and water.
What type of laser is used for Laser Hair Removal?
Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery uses Cynosure Laser, The most popular brand on the market that treats a wide variety of issues and skin types.
How many treatments will I need?
Hair re-growth occurs at different rates in different areas of the body. New hair growth will not occur for at least three weeks after treatment.
After a series of 6-8 treatments, patients typically experience 70-90% hair reduction.
I order to experience the best results, it’s important to maintain a consistent treatment schedule. Treatments are typically spaced 4-6 weeks apart for the face and 6-8 weeks for the body.
What to expect after Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
It’s normal to experience slight redness, swelling and bumps in the treated area for up to 72 hours following the treatment. If these conditions persist, you can use topical creams such as calamine, Aloe vera, or hydrocortisone to treat irritation.
Anywhere from 1-3 weeks after the treatment, shedding of the hair may occur and may appear as new hair growth. This is not new hair growth, but dead/injured hair pushing its way out of the follicle. You can help the hair exfoliate by washing or wiping with a washcloth.
When will I see results?
On average, clients experience around 20 to 30% less hair growth after each treatment session.
Laser Hair Removal Before and After Photos
*Individual Results May Vary
Laser Hair Removal Treatment Aftercare
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of dark or light spots. Use sunscreen SPF 25 or higher at all times while undergoing treatment.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. Do not use any other hair removal methods (besides shaving) as it will prevent you from achieving your best results.
- You may shower after the laser treatments. The treated area may be washed gently with a mild soap. The skin should be patted dry and not rubbed. You may apply deodorant after 24 hours.