What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers, or injectable face fillers, have been around for almost 20 years and has advanced substantially during that time. The goal of using these treatments is to utilize a product to fill in a crease or a hollow that has developed in certain areas of the face due to the aging process.
A flat, gaunt, and deflated face can give the appearance of a sad, sullen, or angry person, when in fact, that may not be the case. When you replace the volume to the face with injectable fillers, it will significantly turn back the clock by reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Thousands of cosmetic injections have been performed by Dr. Roberto Garcia and the results are long lasting and natural looking.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers
Injectable fillers can treat some or all of the following issues attributed to aging:
- Hollowing of the Temples
- Hollowing below the eyes
- Flattening of the cheeks
- Deep smile lines (Nasolabial lines)
- Deep corner of the mouth lines (Marionette lines)
- Pre-jowl sagging
- Thin lips
- Fine lines around the lips
Dermal Fillers Before And After
Injectable Fillers Offered at Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery
At Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery, we offer several wrinkle fillers including fillers for around the mouth, cheeks, forehead, under eye fillers, and lip enhancers. Provided below are a list of filler injections available at our practice:
- Juvederm®XC Ultra
- Juvederm®XC Ultra Plus
- Juvederm® Volbella
- Juvederm® Voluma
- Restylane Silk
- Restylane Lyft
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is indicated for cheek augmentation to correct age-related volume deficit in the mid-face.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus XC injectable gels are indicated for injection into the mid-to-deep dermis for correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE XC injectable gel is indicated for injection into the mid-to-deep dermis for correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gel is indicated for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel is indicated for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral rhytids in adults over the age of 21.
RADIESSE is used for reducing moderate-to-severe wrinkles, folds and creases around the nose and mouth by increasing the skin’s natural collagen supply. The RADIESSE filler is composed of microspheres in a water-based gel. The microspheres are made of a substance called calcium hydroxylapatite, which stimulates the production of collagen. When injected into lines and wrinkles, the additional collagen produced smooths out the lines and wrinkles, and adds volume to the skin.
Restylane gel plumps up glabellar lines and nasolabial folds. With Restylane injections, Dr. Roberto Garcia is able to make the skin appear younger and look smoother. When using Restylane for lip enhancement, it makes the lips fuller, giving them more definition. At Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery we offer Restylane products including Restylane Silk and Restylane Lyft.
Sculptra® Aesthetic injectable is used to reverse the signs of facial fat loss that occur with aging. By restoring collagen, which decreases as the body ages, it fills out shallow-to-deep wrinkles and folds that run from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth.
Dermal Fillers Treatment Process
All dermal filler injections take about 15 minutes to administer. At Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery in Ponte Vedra Beach, all cosmetic injections are performed by Dr. Roberto Garcia or the Nurse Practitioner. Since we prefer that our patients not have any discomfort, a small amount of injected lidocaine is given prior to any filler application. A fine needle is used for the injection, which is given under the skin in the targeted area to add volume or fill in wrinkles and folds. Because most of the fillers already contain lidocaine to improve comfort, the area may stay numb for up to an hour after injection making the process much more comfortable. After the injection, Dr. Garcia or his nurse practitioner will instruct the patient about massaging the area, so as to not have any hard or lumpy areas.
When Can I Return to Normal Activities After Cosmetic Fillers?
Once the treatment is completed patients can usually return to their regular activities. To reduce the risk of complications however, it is advised for the first 24 hours after treatment, to avoid strenuous exercise, excessive sun or heat exposure, and alcohol consumption.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
The duration of results varies based on the injectable filler used. The individual results also vary for each patient. Although the improvement in wrinkle reduction and signs of aging are dramatic, dermal fillers are only temporary. Below is the typical duration of action for each filler:
- Juvederm®XC Ultra: 9-12 months
- Juvederm®XC Ultra Plus: 9-12 months
- Juvederm® Voluma: 18-24 months
- RADIESSE: 10-12 months
- Restylane Silk: 6-8 months
- Restylane: 6-8 months
- Restylane Lyft: 6-8 months
- Sculptra: 2 years (after a series of 3 injections are performed)
Dermal Filler Side Effects
Side effects of any dermal filler are usually not serious and go away on their own. They occur at the injection site, and include the following:
- Pain or tenderness
- Lumps or bumps
Schedule a Consultation