Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Roberto Garcia has performed thousands of aging face surgeries. He has also developed a very conservative and natural approach that provides patients with minimal downtime and amazing results. As you age, gravity and sun exposure inevitably takes its toll on the face, neck, and brow. Deep creases that run from each side of the nose to the corners of the mouth appear (nasolabial lines); the jawline slackens (creating jowls); and the neck develops loose folds and fat deposits. With facelift surgery these signs of aging can be improved.
What is Facelift Surgery?
Clinically termed rhytidectomy, the facelift is the original cosmetic surgery, first performed way back in the early 1900s. The focus used to be on sagging facial skin, but modern techniques focus more on the underlying muscles and deeper tissues than simply the skin. The goal is to release these tissues and then reattach them at a higher position. This gives Dr. Roberto Garcia’s patients a natural, younger appearance.
When Dr. Roberto Garcia performs facelift surgery, he improves the visible signs of aging patients experience in areas of the face and neck. Facelift surgery counteracts the signs of aging by tightening muscle, removing fat and trimming excess skin, giving the face a fresher, more youthful look.
Additional procedures that can be performed in conjunction with a facelift include a brow lift or eyelid surgery. These procedures are typically done to rejuvenate the aging ages while tightening the muscle in the face.
What can a facelift do for me?
A facelift improves the look of the lower and middle areas of the face, and the neck. It is most effective for correcting the following:
- Mid-face sagging
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines (corner of the mouth)
- Sagging fat
- Loose skin and fat under the chin and jaw
Facelift Before and After Photo
*Individual Results May Vary
Before & After Gallery
The gallery of images contains photographs illustrating patients’ appearances before and after surgery.
Candidates for Facelift Surgery
The ideal candidates for a facelift is a male or female who wants to correct one or more of the signs of aging indicated above; have some facial sagging, but still have elasticity in their skin; are generally healthy; and have realistic expectations about what rhytidectomy can do.
Dr. Garcia will discuss what makes someone a candidate for surgery during your consultation and make sure that facelift surgery is the recommended option to achieve your desired results.
What Are My Facelift Options?
Every patient has a unique situation; none of us ages exactly like anyone else. Dr. Roberto Garcia adapts every facelift procedure to the individual patient. Up until about 15 years ago, the majority of these procedures would be what we now call “traditional facelifts” or “full facelifts.” But more recently, different methods have evolved to achieve different results.
These are some facelift types, although each can be modified.
- Traditional facelift: A traditional/full facelift targets the mid to lower face, jowls, and neck. A full facelift involves lifting and repositioning the muscles and deeper tissues and removing certain attachments. Fat is usually sculpted as much as removed to avoid creating a hollow look. The incisions with a traditional facelift start in the hairline at the temples, run down in front of the ear, wrap around the earlobes, and end in the hairline of the lower scalp. If the patient has specific issues with the neck, Dr. Roberto Garcia may make a second incision under the chin. This allows him to lift, tighten, and trim excess skin on the upper neck.
- Limited-incision facelift: The goals here are more limited, usually providing limited rejuvenation around the eyes and mouth. Shorter incisions are made at the temples, around the ears, and if necessary, in the lower eyelids and/or under the upper lip.
- Mid facelift: This lift focuses on the mid-face, lifting the cheeks and removing lines. Mid-face lifts can reduce puffiness under the eyes, remove nasolabial folds, and raise the cheeks. Incisions are small and are usually made in the lower eyelids or the mouth.
- Mini facelift: This method targets the jaw, lower cheeks, and neck. Incisions begin in front of the ears. They extend from the bottom of the earlobes to the hairline behind the ear. Mini facelifts focus on the underlying muscular system, called SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system). Mini facelifts are generally best for somewhat younger patients who don’t have dramatic overall facial sagging.
- Facelift with neck liposuction: Here the lower face and neck are the targets. For the liposuction portion, one or two tiny incisions are made beneath the chin or behind the ears. Dr. Garcia then inserts a small cannula, which suctions away excess fat, especially under the chin, returning a slimmer contour to the chin and neck.
- Deep plane facelift: Deep plane facelifts involve a more complicated surgery where Dr. Garcia goes beneath the skin and SMAS tissue layers to release the deeper tissues of the face from their underlying muscles. These tissues are then reattached at higher anchor points, lifting the whole face.
The facelift surgery is typically performed as an out patient procedure in a JCAHO/AAAHC accredited surgery center with board certified Anesthesiologists, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists, and Registered Nurses. Patients may have a choice of IV sedation or general anesthesia. The facelift procedure takes about 2 hours.
At Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery in Ponte Vedra Beach, we utilize a natural and unique technique with barely visible scars that blend into the natural hairline. We do not shave any hair during the surgery. As such, any healing incisions are quickly covered by new hair growth.
Dr. Roberto Garcia explains the entire facelift process and procedure in detail with patients both at the time of the consultation and on the day of surgery.
Facelift Vs. Mini Facelift
Surgical treatment of the aging face varies according to each patient’s aesthetic needs and goals. When analyzing a patient’s proposed treatment plan, Dr. Roberto Garcia will examine and assess how each area of the face contributes to the overall appearance.
If the patient is concerned with the brows, eyelids, cheeks, lower face, and neck, Dr. Garcia will usually recommend a facelift. The facelift procedure is recommended for patients looking to address all areas of the face and neck. A surgical treatment of the aging face varies according to each patient’s aesthetic needs and goals.
In Dr. Garcia’s practice, the minilift will address the mid face, jowls, and neck. The ideal candidate for a mini facelift is the patient who is aging in the cheek area, has excess jowl tissue, and fullness and banding in the neck. The minilift patient will benefit aesthetically from treating those areas of the face with very natural results.
Dr. Roberto Garcia will offer the most customized procedure for your individual needs. He will spend time analyzing your facial features and your specific area of concerns. He will then develop a treatment plan that will help you achieve your facial aesthetic goals.
Facelift Surgery recovery
After the facelift surgery, Dr. Roberto Garcia wraps the incisions in light bandages that are removed the next morning. The following morning all incisions are carefully cleaned by our staff and the hair is gently cleansed. Dr. Roberto Garcia specializes in a very meticulous closure of all incisions and these stitches are carefully removed one week after the surgery. There will be bruising and swelling that will last from two to three weeks. The first few days are the hardest, but with each recovery day you will feel better. Initially, your skin may feel tight in the face and neck. You will likely have numbness in areas and your incisions may itch at some point. This is normal and can last up to a couple months, as the facial nerves adjust to the re-draped skin. With more involved facelift procedures most patients can return to work by the third week. Mini facelift patients may only need a week before returning to work.
With any type of facelift, you’ll need to be patient with your results. This is because residual swelling can return. This usually occurs in the late afternoon or evening. Complete healing can take between 9-12 months. During your consultation, Dr. Roberto Garcia will discuss the recovery process in detail and answer any questions you may have.
What are the risks of a facelift?
Although rare, possible complications of a facelift include bleeding, infection, bruising, swelling or discoloration, allergic reaction to the anesthesia, skin blistering (usually only in smokers), nerve injury, and temporary loss of sensation in the face.
How long do the effects of a facelift last?
Results of a facelift are extremely long lasting. Typically, 10-15 years from the time of the facelift, the patient may again begin to show similar signs of facial aging. In that case, a patient may choose to undergo “touch up” procedures to keep a certain rejuvenated look.
Your Consultation using 3D Imaging
At Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery we offer the Vectra 3D, a state of the art imaging system that allows patients to preview their expected results prior to undergoing a procedure.
During your consultation, Dr. Garcia will take photographs of a patient’s face or specific part that will be performed on. He will then create a 3D digital replication of the same body part using the VECTRA simulator. These images will allow Dr. Garcia to preview the various surgical/nonsurgical options with the patient.
Learn more about the Vectra 3D.
*Individual Results May Vary
Facelift Without Surgery
Many patients are seeking technologies and procedures that don’t require surgery. We can restore a patient’s youthful appearance with a combination of non-surgical procedures to achieve a natural looking lift to the facial area.
Non-surgical lifting procedures offer the benefit of instant results with little to no downtime. Depending on the patient’s concerns and treatment goals, Dr. Roberto Garcia will customize and individual treatment plan. Here are just some of the treatments that we use alone or in combination for optimal results:
- Botox injections are an excellent choice for the treatment of the fine lines and wrinkles between the eyebrows, forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.
- Dermal fillers are excellent in filling in lines and restoring volume to the cheeks. In just a few minutes, patients can achieve an instant lift. Dermal fillers are also excellent under the eyes and in the temples.
- Contoura fat transfer, an alternative to synthetic dermal fillers. Fat transfer produces very natural looking long term results. Our patients can achieve volume restoration under the eyes, the cheeks, and any other sunken areas of the face. The advantage of fat transfer is the ability to utilize a patient’s own fat to achieve natural, beautiful results.
- Silhouette Instalift, a minimally invasive method for lifting and repositioning sub-dermal tissue. The procedure utilizes resorbable suspension sutures with bi-directional cones that work to naturally elevate and reposition the mid-face. Silhouette Instalift is a great option for patients that do not want to undergo a traditional facelift. The results are immediate and natural-looking.
- Patients who have fullness in the neck but have fairly good skin can benefit from Kybella injections. Kybella treatments typically involve a series of injections. Patients will see a dramatic difference in neck fullness after the recommended treatment is concluded.
Dr. Garcia will recommend the appropriate non-surgical treatments to achieve long lasting, natural looking results. He will recommend the best treatment plan for each individual patient.
Schedule a consultation
To learn more about facelift surgery, call (904) 686-8020 to schedule a consultation. Contoura Facial Plastic Surgery serves patients from Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra Beach and surrounding areas.